Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A nice hearty recipe. Freezes well. Sometimes I add a little minced garlic. It tastes good and is a nice soup for colds and flu and easy to prepare. I usually use chicken already prepared from the freezer and you can substitute dried carrots, onions and celery for fresh veg.
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 6 cups chicken broth, chicken -I use Swanson's low sodium, low fat
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional-personally, i think the broth has enough salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups uncooked small egg noodles
- In a large saucepan, sauté fresh carrots, celery, and onions in butter until tender.
- Add broth and chicken. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and add noodles. Cook for 10 minutes and then add seasonings. Cook for 5 minutes longer. Makes 6 servings.
Yummy and quick to make. Used leftover roasted chicken and organic chicken broth. Sauteed the veggies in a little olive oil instead of butter. Garlic would be a great addition. My son loves chicken noodle soup but I refuse to buy the ickky canned stuff. He ate two bowls of this soup! Will be keeping individual portions in the freezer for his school lunches. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for PAC Fall 2007.
I added garlic just like you recommended, and also some green peas just because I like them in a chicken soup. The result was a heartwarming, yummy soup. The only change I would make next time is to reduce the amount of herbs by half as it was a bit much for me. Thank you.