Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
found on the organic.org website - a great alternative to traditional chili
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped
- 7 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄4 lbs canned black beans, with liquid
- 10 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 lb canned beer or 1⁄2 lb subtitute chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 red bell pepper, diced
- 3⁄4 sweet onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons sliced black olives
- 2⁄3 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cilantro leaves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat 1 tsp olive oil.
- add chicken and saute until no longer pink, about 4 minutes each side.
- remove chicken from pot, wipe pot dry.
- heat remaining oil and saute onion, garlic, bell pepper and cumin seeds for 5 minutes,stiriing often.
- stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beer, salt and pepper.
- add chicken back to pot.
- cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- add beans, corn, and olives.
- simmer 15 minutes longer.
- stir in cilantro.
- serve hot, topped with cheddar cheese.
I've made this twice now and truly love it! Thanks for sharing this!
I loved it! Thank you for the great recipe!
this was ok. dh liked it !