Recipe by mary winecoff
This is a great soup that comes together fast. Great for those chilly fall evenings. This recipe comes from Southern Living.
Top Review by Bippie
Really good! I added 1 more clove of garlic and 1/4 tsp pepper. Threw everything in my crockpot for 3 hours on low and 3 hours on high. It looked lovely and tasted even better! I'll have to remember this during cold season.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute first 4 ingredients in hot oil in large Dutch oven over medium high heat 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, water, and next 3 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 23 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken and barley. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until barley is tender.