Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great soup that comes together fast. Great for those chilly fall evenings. This recipe comes from Southern Living.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
- Saute first 4 ingredients in hot oil in large Dutch oven over medium high heat 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, water, and next 3 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 23 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken and barley. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until barley is tender.
Really good! I added 1 more clove of garlic and 1/4 tsp pepper. Threw everything in my crockpot for 3 hours on low and 3 hours on high. It looked lovely and tasted even better! I'll have to remember this during cold season.
Delicious soup! I made just as directed and hubby and I loved it. Have leftovers for today. Thanks!
Great soup for the cooler days. It may still be August but we have had rain and wind and cooler temps. Dh and I both enjoyed the soup tonight. I only things I did differently were that I used regular slow cooking barley and a dry chicken soup base and water instead of canned broth. This was very much like Chicken Noodle but the barley in place of the noodles made it heartier as well as supplying a welcome change. Very simple to make and the portion size is generous. The health factor is also excellent. Thanks Mary for posting this.