1/1 Photo of Chunky Cheese Bread for Sandwiches, Soup Dippin' or Eatin' Plain
2 hrs 35 mins
Chunks of cheese--decadently & artfully tossed o'er the dough--will have your family grappling for the pan before it's out of the oven! Dip this into potato soup or clam chowder for a scrump-dillicious flavor explosion OR toast the slices and use for ham sandwiches with the cheese baked right in the dough. Marcy Goldman *Passion For Baking* came up with this recipe and says that THIS recipe is worth the price of her book! I agree and you will too. NOTE: Prep time includes TWO RISINGS--plan ahead!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 5 cups flour (and a bit extra)
Chunky Cheese Part
- 1Generously grease two loaf pans; set aside.
- 2In mixing bowl, whisk water and yeast, let rest 2-3 minutes.
- 3Then whisk in sugar, salt, mustard, eggs, oil, butter, then stir in HALF the flour.
- 4Begin kneading with dough hook on LOW for 5-8 minutes, adding more flour to make a soft elastic dough; form into ball in mixing bowl--spritz dough with oil spray, cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap; let rise for 30 minutes.
- 5Turn out dough on lightly floured table, punch down gently.
- 6Divide dough in half; press each half into an oval; sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese over each oval, press into dough, then roll each oval into a jelly roll.
- 7Cut each roll into THICK slices, then in half again (odd shaped chunks of dough).
- 8Arrange chunks in prepped loaf pans; scatter cubed cheese over dough chunks; drizzle oil or butter over this, sprinkle on the seasoned salt.
- 9Cover pans with plastic wrap, let rise in warm spot 30-45 minutes (quite puffy).
- 10Preheat oven to 350. Bake loaves until browned and sizzling--cheese will be melted--about 35-40 minutes.
- 11Cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove and serve.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chunky Cheese Bread for Sandwiches, Soup Dippin' or Eatin' Plain
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 454.6
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 79.8 mg
- Sodium 746.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 16.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: