Chunks of cheese--decadently & artfully tossed o'er the dough--will have your family grappling for the pan before it's out of the oven! Dip this into potato soup or clam chowder for a scrump-dillicious flavor explosion OR toast the slices and use for ham sandwiches with the cheese baked right in the dough. Marcy Goldman *Passion For Baking* came up with this recipe and says that THIS recipe is worth the price of her book! I agree and you will too. NOTE: Prep time includes TWO RISINGS--plan ahead!!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 5 cups flour (and a bit extra)
Chunky Cheese Part
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed cheddar cheese (scant)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or melted butter)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (we like "Spike")
- Generously grease two loaf pans; set aside.
- In mixing bowl, whisk water and yeast, let rest 2-3 minutes.
- Then whisk in sugar, salt, mustard, eggs, oil, butter, then stir in HALF the flour.
- Begin kneading with dough hook on LOW for 5-8 minutes, adding more flour to make a soft elastic dough; form into ball in mixing bowl--spritz dough with oil spray, cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap; let rise for 30 minutes.
- Turn out dough on lightly floured table, punch down gently.
- Divide dough in half; press each half into an oval; sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese over each oval, press into dough, then roll each oval into a jelly roll.
- Cut each roll into THICK slices, then in half again (odd shaped chunks of dough).
- Arrange chunks in prepped loaf pans; scatter cubed cheese over dough chunks; drizzle oil or butter over this, sprinkle on the seasoned salt.
- Cover pans with plastic wrap, let rise in warm spot 30-45 minutes (quite puffy).
- Preheat oven to 350. Bake loaves until browned and sizzling--cheese will be melted--about 35-40 minutes.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove and serve.