Recipe by Hey Jude
This is the first recipe I made for my new fondue pot (my old one was sold in a garage sale in the 80's!). This is easy enough for a beginner fonduer.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
assorted raw vegetables
- carrot, sticks (or whole baby carrots)
- celery, sticks
- mushroom (quartered if large)
- green onion
- cauliflower floret
- broccoli floret
- green pepper strip
- zucchini, sticks or rounds
- French bread cubes or breadstick
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare vegetables and bread; set aside.
- In a 10-inch frying pan over medium heat, melt butter; add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in tomatoes (break up with a spoon) and their liquid, chiles, and oregano; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered,for 5 minutes.
- Add cheese, a handful at a time, stirring until cheese is melted and mixture is well blended.
- Transfer to a fondue pot or chafing dish and keep warm over the heat source.
- Use vegetables and bread cubes or sticks as dippers.