Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Don't toss the watermelon rind! Kick it up by pickling it into this Cajun relish. Top fried catfish, grilled shrimp, fried alligator, or just kick up a good old hot dog!
- 5 cups watermelon rind (diced, no peel or pink flesh)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 -2 fresh jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard, seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mixed peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon pepper, flakes try chipotle flakes for a hint of smokiness
- Place rind, peppers, and onion in a large bowl toss in the salt and cover with ice cold water. Chill for 8-12 hours.
- Prepare jars and water bath for canning.
- Rinse very very well and drain set aside.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a large stainless steel pot. Bring to a boil to dissolve sugar. Once dissolved add the drained rind and veggies.Bring back to a boil then reduce to a simmer over medium low flame. Simmer covered for 25 minutes.
- Pack into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Wipe rims adjust lid placing screw bands on. Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- Cool jars out of draft for 12 hours check for seals. label and store. Or give as gifts.