1/2 Photos of Chunky Cajun Watermelon Relish
Don't toss the watermelon rind! Kick it up by pickling it into this Cajun relish. Top fried catfish, grilled shrimp, fried alligator, or just kick up a good old hot dog!
My Private Note
8 ounce ...
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups watermelon rind (diced, no peel or pink flesh)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 -2 fresh jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard, seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mixed peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon pepper, flakes try chipotle flakes for a hint of smokiness
- 1Place rind, peppers, and onion in a large bowl toss in the salt and cover with ice cold water. Chill for 8-12 hours.
- 2Prepare jars and water bath for canning.
- 3Rinse very very well and drain set aside.
- 4Place the remaining ingredients in a large stainless steel pot. Bring to a boil to dissolve sugar. Once dissolved add the drained rind and veggies.Bring back to a boil then reduce to a simmer over medium low flame. Simmer covered for 25 minutes.
- 5Pack into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Wipe rims adjust lid placing screw bands on. Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- 6Cool jars out of draft for 12 hours check for seals. label and store. Or give as gifts.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chunky Cajun Watermelon Relish
Serving Size: 1 (27 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 24.7
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 175.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 0.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: