Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is my tweaked version of the Black Bean Chili recipe originally posted by KYGreek.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans (both drained)
- 1 head finely minced fresh garlic or 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup minced garlic
- 1 large white onion
- 1⁄2-1 large green pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (drained)
- 2 -3 cups hot salsa (or medium)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- black pepper
- red pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- Thoroughly brown turkey in frying pan.
- While turkey is cooking, drain 1st can of beans and pour into med size pot. Turn on low heat and mash (be sure pot isn't too hot, or the beans will burn).
- When turkey is done cooking, drain grease and add to beans. Increase heat to Med-low. Mix mashed beans and turkey (the beans will tend to mash better once the turkey has been added).
- Add finely chopped onion and green pepper.
- Add garlic.
- Cook mix on medium-low until onions start to get soft, stirring regularly.
- Open and drain 2nd can of beans. Add to pot.
- Drain canned tomatoes and add to pot.
- Turn heat to medium or med-hi and pour both cans of tomato sauce into pot.
- Add salsa.
- Add chili powder.
- Add black pepper, to taste.
- Add ground or crushed red pepper, to taste.
- Add lemon juice.
- Simmer about 10 minutes, stirring regularly.