Recipe by dicentra
This is a healthy, hearty version of borscht from my EWSW cookbook. I haven’t tried this yet, but it sounds yummy.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beets, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3⁄4 lb potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 lb beef sirloin, cut into 1/4 inch chunks
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat.
- Add the scallion and garlic and sauté for two minutes or until the scallions are tender.
- Add the beets, potatoes, carrots, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and 4 ½ cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the beets and potatoes are tender.
- Add the beef and cook for three minutes or until just cooked through.
- Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream.