1 hr 30 mins
Dobby the kitchen elf's Note:
This is a personal favorite recipe of mine, initially derived from Canadian Living Magazine. Friends and family also love it and usually request the recipe so here is my version for all of you. There are lots of ways to easily make it your own by spicing it up a bit and it's a very filling soup that's quite healthy and great after a busy or cold day outside. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 strips cooked bacon (I use pre-cooked)
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 2 carrots, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (900 ml) box beef broth (I use low sodium kind)
- 1/4 cup uncooked barley
- 1/2 cup egg noodles (I use extra fine)
- salt, to taste
- 1Cook bacon until crisp and remove and liquid (Avoid this step by using pre-cooked bacon).
- 2Cut bacon into small pieces and put in large stock pot.
- 3Cook ground beef in fry pan, remove any liquid then add ground beef to pot with bacon.
- 4Add carrots, garlic, onions and celery to fry pan and cook for about 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened then add to pot.
- 5Add bay leaves, basil, italian seasoning, canned tomatos and beef stock to pot.
- 6Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- 7Add barley and egg noodles and simmer for another 30-45 minutes until barley is soft.
- 8If soup becomes too thick for your liking, I recommend adding more beef broth but if not available, water will do but it will dilute the flavour.
- 9Check the flavour and if desired, add any of the following: salt, hot pepper flakes, parmesean cheese, italian blend seasoning or anything else to meet your desired outcome.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chunky Beef Vegetable Minestrone
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 191.8
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 32.1 mg
- Sodium 784.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 13.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning