Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
The ultimate comfort food. Simple ingredients - simply delicious!
- 1 3⁄4 lbs beef stew meat
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups carrots, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 5 cups potatoes, cut in large dice
- 1 cup turnip, cut in large dice
- Dust meat with 1 tablespoons flour. Brown in oil in a large pot. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup flour, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Stir in onion, garlic, tomato paste, thyme, and bay leaf. Add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 1/2 hours.
- Add carrots and turnip. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes. Add more water, if needed.
- Add potatoes. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are done. About 15 minutes before this is done, taste broth and adjust seasonings to suit your taste.