Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
From Southern Living.
- 4 lbs boneless chuck roast, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 -4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (32 ounce) container beef broth
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- crushed tortilla chips
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- chopped onion
- Brown meat in batches in a Dutch oven over med-high heat.
- Remove meat, reserving drippings in Dutch oven.
- Add chili powder to Dutch oven; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste; cook 5 minutes.
- Add cooked beef to Dutch oven; stir in beef broth and the next 9 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Serve with cornbread and desired toppings.
This was my first attempt to make a chili completely from scratch using all these seasonings. I had always used chili beans in sauce before and jazzed it up. I have to say, we loved the seasonings in this chili recipe and felt they were spot on (even with my additions to the recipe). I halved the recipe and modified it a bit based on what I had on hand. I used ground beef, fresh garlic, onions, tomato sauce only, a 15 oz. can each: of diced tomatoes & kidney beans > cuz I like 'em! Let it simmer away until thick. Another winner RBS, thanks!
This recipe is a staple in our house during football season. In fact, we love it so much, that I was going to post this exact Southern Living recipe! YUM!