3 hrs 45 mins
Cindy Starke's Note:
This is from Art Smith's cookbook, "Kitchenlife." Great chili, and I highly recommend the book. This chili freezes beautifully - one recipe fills two gallon size freezer bags.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1 . 5 inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle lager beer
- 4 cups cooked pinto beans (optional) or 4 cups canned pinto beans (optional) or 4 cups canned kidney beans (optional)
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 1Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper and brown beef in batches, without crowding pot. Transfer browned beef to bowl or platter.
- 2Add onions, green peppers and jalapenos to pot and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add garlic to pot and cook veggies one minute more.
- 4Sprinkle veggies with chili powder, cumin and oregeno. Stir weel.
- 5Return beef and any juices to pot. Stir in tomatoes with their juice, broth and beer.
- 6Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover pot. Simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- 7Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes. Skim off surface fat. Stir in cooked beans, if desired.
- 8Remove one cup of chili liquid and mix well with cornmeal. Stir the cornmeal paste into pot along with chocolate. Cook until thickens slightly, about 5 more minutes.
- 9Serve with sour cream, shredded cheddar and chopped green onions, if desired.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chunky Beef Chili
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 793.8
- Calories from Fat 523
- Total Fat 58.1 g
- Saturated Fat 22.9 g
- Cholesterol 187.7 mg
- Sodium 270.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 52.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium beef broth