Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
One of the better apple cakes I have tryed!
Top Review by kan2124
Despite the batter being unexpectedly thick, this cake is super easy to make and work with. The creamy cream cheese frosting is wonderful as well. I have also used Kittenkal's glaze on it when I didn't have cream cheese on hand and it was just as yummy. A real crowd pleaser!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar (can use 1 cup white and 1 cup light brown sugar)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 5 small granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no subs!)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 3 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- For the cake; in a large bowl using an electric mixer beat the butter with sugar, eggs and vanilla until well blended (about 4 minutes).
- In another bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg until blended; add to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Add in chopped apples and walnuts; mix to combine.
- Spread the batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting; in a large bowl cream the butter with the cream cheese, vanilla and whipping cream until fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Add in the icing sugar and beat until combined (adding in more icing sugar if needed to acheive desired texture).