Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 40 mins
This is a delicious moist cake!
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups coarsely chopped peeled baking apples (3 medium)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup butter (do not use margarine)
- 3 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 -3 tablespoon milk
- Heat oven to 350°F Spray 12-cup fluted tube cake pan with baking spray with flour.
- In large bowl, beat 1 cup butter and the granulated sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until blended. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir in apples and walnuts. Spoon into pan.
- Bake 50 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat Vt cup butter over medium heat, stirring constantly, until golden brown. Gradually beat in powdered sugar with spoon. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and enough milk until frosting is smooth and desired spreading consistency. Generously spread frosting overtop and partially down side of cake. To serve, cut cake with serrated knife.