Recipe by Chumleyathome
This is gooood! This recipe is mostly from The Frugal Gourmet Celebrates Christmas cookbook, I added the garlic powder, you can eliminate it if you like. This goes good with Chumley's Horseradish Cream for Beef, #364510 and Blue Cheese Butter for Steaks, #364945. The ingredient measurements, you will have to play with, except for the pepper and garlic powder, I usually end up using more of the liquids and the mustard, you will see. The meat should be evenly coated (but not drowned) with the liquids and coated with the mustard (but not encrusted). I also stick toothpicks in the meat to make like coat hooks to hold the onions on. I use about 2 cups of onions, I'm an onion freak. Yes, the onions will be cremated, I'm warning you now, so don't write that up in a review, they still make a good garnish. I made this last Easter and my daughter's boyfriend's dad thought that I was going to throw them away, I told him "no" that this is the best part and he agreed. I use low sodium soy sauce but that is up to you. You can use whatever size roast you want, just adjust the seasonings and cook time,
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- garlic powder (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Kitchen Bouquet
- 1 tablespoon Coleman's dry mustard
- 8 -9 lbs beef rib roast, bone in
- 1 cup peeled an sliced yellow onion (1/8 inch thick)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Rub the seasonings on the roast in the order listed.
- Place the roast on a rack, fat side up in a roasting pan. Pack the onions on the roast.
- Roast in a 450 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees and roast 1 hour.
- Reduce the temperature again to 300 degrees and roast about 1 hour more. Cook the roast at this temperature until it is done to your liking. The recipe says 115 degrees for rare in the center with a meat thermometer. I go to about 135, that is a pretty good medium.
- Remove the roast from the oven and allow it to stand for 15 minutes in a warm place.
- Slice and serve immediately.