3 hrs 30 mins
This is gooood! This recipe is mostly from The Frugal Gourmet Celebrates Christmas cookbook, I added the garlic powder, you can eliminate it if you like. This goes good with Chumley's Horseradish Cream for Beef, #364510 and Blue Cheese Butter for Steaks, #364945. The ingredient measurements, you will have to play with, except for the pepper and garlic powder, I usually end up using more of the liquids and the mustard, you will see. The meat should be evenly coated (but not drowned) with the liquids and coated with the mustard (but not encrusted). I also stick toothpicks in the meat to make like coat hooks to hold the onions on. I use about 2 cups of onions, I'm an onion freak. Yes, the onions will be cremated, I'm warning you now, so don't write that up in a review, they still make a good garnish. I made this last Easter and my daughter's boyfriend's dad thought that I was going to throw them away, I told him "no" that this is the best part and he agreed. I use low sodium soy sauce but that is up to you. You can use whatever size roast you want, just adjust the seasonings and cook time,
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Rub the seasonings on the roast in the order listed.
- 3Place the roast on a rack, fat side up in a roasting pan. Pack the onions on the roast.
- 4Roast in a 450 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- 5Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees and roast 1 hour.
- 6Reduce the temperature again to 300 degrees and roast about 1 hour more. Cook the roast at this temperature until it is done to your liking. The recipe says 115 degrees for rare in the center with a meat thermometer. I go to about 135, that is a pretty good medium.
- 7Remove the roast from the oven and allow it to stand for 15 minutes in a warm place.
- 8Slice and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chumley's Prime Rib
Serving Size: 1 (15 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1148.8
- Calories from Fat 884
- Total Fat 98.2 g
- Saturated Fat 40.4 g
- Cholesterol 257.6 mg
- Sodium 297.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 60.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef rib roast