Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Slightly sweet, full of umami and as spicy as you want it, this take on Thai Kra Pao is a great way to serve catfish! The Holy Basil (or Thai basil) is essential, look for it in a local Asian market! If you can't find Thai peppers, use jalapeno, cayenne or serrano instead.
- 2 -3 catfish fillets
- 1 cup fish breading
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 1⁄4 cup oyster sauce
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup Thai basil, chiffonade cut
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -5 Thai peppers, chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 1 zucchini, julienned
- Bread and fry the catfish in 1/2 inch of oil for about 3 minutes per side.
- Julienne cut the onions and bell peppers, chop the hot peppers.
- Saute the onions and peppers in a wok or skillet until tender.
- Beware, inhaling pepper fumes is painful!
- Add the garlic and zucchini, saute for a few minutes.
- Add sauce ingredients, let simmer for a few minutes.
- Thicken if desired with 2 tsp corn starch mixed into couple ounces of water.
- Place fried catfish on a bed of basmati rice, spoon sauce over the top and sprinkle generously with the Thai basil -- enjoy!