Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
So good on a cold day! Warms you up fast! Update: Due to a trusted review that the stew was too salty I have modified the recipe to 1/2 tsp salt. Please do try this and taste before serving. Adjust the seasonings to your taste. I promise it makes a thick, hearty and delicious stew. Likewise, if you prefer a thinner stew add some additional water or broth.
Top Review by hoosiercookIN'
Wonderful, will definitely make this one again! Went the bouillon route for the broth, and used canned diced tomatoes. I added a few splashes of Worchestershire sauce for good measure.
- 1 lb stew meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, please adjust to your taste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 14 1⁄2 ounces beef broth or 1 beef bouillon cubes or 2 cups beef broth, see note in directions regarding water to add
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a little oil in a large pot or dutch oven. Just enough oil to keep food from sticking.
- Add meat, onion, potatoes, carrots, cumin, salt, pepper, and chili powder to hot oil. Saute until the onions turn clear and the meat has browned on all sides. This will infuse the seasonings deeply into the meat and vegetables.
- *WATER note: Whichever broth method you are using ADD WATER to equal a total of ONE QUART liquid. ( This means 1 bouillion cube with 1 quart water, OR 1 can broth with 17.5 oz water (about 2 1/4 cups) OR 2 cups broth and 2 cups water.).
- Add that liquid to the pan along with the tomatoes AND THEIR LIQUID and stir/scrape well to get any browned bits off the bottom.
- Bring to a rolling boil.
- Cover and and reduce to simmer, stirring once or twice. Cook at least one hour and taste. Adjust seasoning if needed adding more chili powder if you want it spicier.
- Uncover and continue to simmer until meat and veggies are tender and done to your liking.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Great with some warm crusty bread.