Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is just plain old comfort food. Wonderful for those cold winter nights.
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 lbs lean stewing beef, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 6 small potatoes, pealed and quartered
- 6 small carrots, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Combine the sugar and flour.
- Coat beef with flour mixture and brown in olive oil in large dutch oven.
- Add seasonings, tomatoes and broth to meat.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 1 hour or until meat is tender (cook time will depend on how large your chunks of meat are).
- Stir in potatoes, carrots and celery and cook for 20 minutes longer, or until veggies are fork tender.
- Add peas and corn and cook for 15 minutes longer.
- Serve with cornbread or a crusty bread and a salad and you have a fantastic meal.
What a great tasting stew. Great blend of spices and I love the fact that it can be made on top of the stove. ( or in the oven I'm sure)This is one recipe that will be taken along on camping trips for that complete meal on those chilly days or late night meals. It can't get easier or more tasty than this. Served with a salad and fresh rolls it was a fantastic meal. a definite keeper. Thanks jellyqueen