Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From the Next Food Network Star Rory Schepisi. Potatoes with onion, garlic, bacon, butter, and cheese. What could be better?
- 2267.96-2721.55 g Red Bliss potatoes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 118.29 ml garlic, chopped
- 354.88 ml bacon, chopped and par cooked
- 354.88 ml salted butter, softened (recommended -- Country Crock)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 236.59 ml cheddar cheese, grated (smoked cheese recommended)
- 118.29 ml chives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and cut potatoes into bite-size pieces. Place potatoes in a medium sized roasting pan.
- Add diced onion, shallots, garlic and bacon. Mix potatoes and other ingredients with softened butter until ingredients are coated thoroughly with butter.
- Cover with foil and cook approximately for 1 hour or until the potatoes are almost fork tender.
- Remove foil. Season with salt and pepper and place back in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes have a nice golden brown color.
- Garnish with grated cheese and chives.
MMMmmmm! Potatoes don't get any tastier than these. We loved them!
A great way to make potatoes. I wasn't sure how much the bacon should be cooked ahead of time so I fried it until it released most of the fat but was not crispy which seemed to work well. I made a half recipe so decreased everything in half. The only change I made was to decrease the butter more. I only used 1/2 cup and still had butter in the bottom of the pan at the end. Next time I will use a little less than that. I always use unsaalted butter and it worked fine. I corrected the seasoning in the end and really used very little salt. Although this was a lot of garlic we did all enjoy it. I do wonder if less garlic would change the dish much. All in all the potatoes were great, no complaints at our table. Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe. Made for 2010 PAC.
Made for the *Best of 2008* Tag Game & I agree w/you ~ Not much is better than onion, garlic, bacon, butter & cheese, esp when combined w/potatoes. True to his Icelandic heritage, my DH is a potato-lover & even content to eat them boiled w/a bit of butter, but I prefer them dressed up to add flavor & texture so this recipe was a winner for both of us. The amt of garlic here is nothing short of *pure heaven* & won my favor w/its aroma & my 1st bite. I can even see eating these potatoes as the main-dish of a meal w/a salad on the side. *Yum* ! Thx for sharing this great recipe w/us. :-)