Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This is a tasty roast for 2 or even 1. It is just me at home so I cut my roast in half. Will feast on this roast with some heavenly mashed potatoes covered in gravy and a nice veggie to go with it. With the leftovers...well I will saute up some mushrooms to add to the gravy, cube the left over roast to add along with it....and then serve over noodles or rice. I will have another meal for another day without much preparation for it.
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) chuck roast, abt 1 1/2 lbs (I cut a 3lb roast in half, froze the other half for another time)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, cut in large dice
- 1 teaspoon beef base
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1 teaspoon Gravy Master
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a small bowl mix together the salt, pepper, and garlic powder ( it makes for a better distribution of the seasonings).
- Sprinkle beef with the mixed seasoning on all sides.
- Brown the chuck roast in the oil on all sides (I use my Le Creuset 2-Quart Round French Oven).
- Add the onion to the pot and saute until light golden color.
- Dissolve the beef base in hot water.
- Pour the resulting broth around the roast in the pot.
- Bring the broth up to a bubble, immediately cover, and turn down the heat to a simmer.
- Cook at a simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is fork tender.
- Remove meat from pan and keep warm by covering with foil.
- Mix the flour and water together to create a slurry.
- Add the gravy master to simmering broth.
- Slowing pour the slurry into the pan while stirring with a whisk to ensure no lumps form.
- Simmer for a couple of minutes to cook the flour.
- Taste and correct seasoning with additional salt, pepper, and garlic powder blend if needed.
- NOTE: The salt, pepper, garlic powder blend is actually Paula Deen's House Seasoning, see recipe #57340.
Easy and good
I've made this twice now and it is so delicious and easy. I add 3-4 carrots after the onions. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!!!