2 hrs 15 mins
This is a tasty roast for 2 or even 1. It is just me at home so I cut my roast in half. Will feast on this roast with some heavenly mashed potatoes covered in gravy and a nice veggie to go with it. With the leftovers...well I will saute up some mushrooms to add to the gravy, cube the left over roast to add along with it....and then serve over noodles or rice. I will have another meal for another day without much preparation for it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) chuck roast, abt 1 1/2 lbs (I cut a 3lb roast in half, froze the other half for another time)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, cut in large dice
- 1 teaspoon beef base
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1 teaspoon Gravy Master
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1In a small bowl mix together the salt, pepper, and garlic powder ( it makes for a better distribution of the seasonings).
- 2Sprinkle beef with the mixed seasoning on all sides.
- 3Brown the chuck roast in the oil on all sides (I use my Le Creuset 2-Quart Round French Oven).
- 4Add the onion to the pot and saute until light golden color.
- 5Dissolve the beef base in hot water.
- 6Pour the resulting broth around the roast in the pot.
- 7Bring the broth up to a bubble, immediately cover, and turn down the heat to a simmer.
- 8Cook at a simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is fork tender.
- 9Remove meat from pan and keep warm by covering with foil.
- 10Mix the flour and water together to create a slurry.
- 11Add the gravy master to simmering broth.
- 12Slowing pour the slurry into the pan while stirring with a whisk to ensure no lumps form.
- 13Simmer for a couple of minutes to cook the flour.
- 14Taste and correct seasoning with additional salt, pepper, and garlic powder blend if needed.
- 15NOTE: The salt, pepper, garlic powder blend is actually Paula Deen's House Seasoning, see Paula Deen's House Seasoning Mix.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chuck Roast for Two
Serving Size: 1 (538 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 574.9
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 224.5 mg
- Sodium 1170.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 73.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence