Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 mins
In ‘Southern Plate’ by Christy Jordan
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (29 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (29 ounce) can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced green chilis
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes (or 3 medium tomatoes, diced)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, brown the ground beef until no longer pink and drain off the fat.
- In a large pot or slow cooker, combine the beef with the remaining ingredients.
- If cooking in a pot, bring to a simmer over low heat and cook, stirring every 15 minutes, for 2-3 hours.
- If cooking in a slow cooker, stir to combine and cover.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.