Recipe by Raspberry Cordial
From an old Junior League of Toronto Cookbook. I use this to make lasagna as well. Just increase sweet & sour sauce to 1/2 cup.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green peppers or 1⁄2 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (796 ml) can tomato sauce
- 1 (156 ml) can tomato paste
- 1 (284 ml) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄3 cup sweet and sour sauce (preferred brand VH)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a large fry pan. Add meat, garlic, onion and green pepper. Cook until meat is browned and onions translucent. Drain excess fat.
- Transfer mixture to a large pot. Add all other ingredients.
- Lower heat, cover pot and simmer 1 hour. (I give it only 1/2 hour if I'm rushed).
- Remove cover, or keep partially covered for another 30 minutes, until sauce reaches desired consistency. Should it become too thick, add some water or dry red wine.
- Remove bay leaves and pour sauce over cooked spaghetti.