Recipe by Michelle Berteig
A holiday favorite. For a delicious version, add 2 tsp. cinnamon to the recipe. There was a note to the recipe to add slightly more salt, this is probably a personal preference.
- 1 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon extract (vanilla, almond, etc.)
- food coloring (optional)
- colored crystal sugar (optional)
- candy sprinkles (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream shortening, adding sugar gradually.
- Add egg, sifted dry ingredients, flavoring, and a few drops of food coloring, if using. Mix well.
- Fill a cookie press and form cookies onto ungreased cookie sheets, Decorate as desired. Bake for 10-12 minutes.