Recipe by xtine
DO NOT DRINK THIS OR CONSUME IT IN ANY WAY - this is a mixture used to water your Christmas tree to keep it fresh throughout the season. If you have pets or small children who may get into the mixture at the bottom of the tree, do not use the bleach. I leave it out because I have a cat who gets into the water at the bottom of the tree. The vinegar helps the tree to take in more of the water, the corn syrup acts as an energy source for the tree, and the bleach helps to prevent mold and fungi from growing in the water or on the base of the tree. The copper in the penny acts as a fungicide and an acidifier. The Food.com computer will let me put bleach in as an ingredient (weird), but it won't let me put "a penny" in as an ingredient, so just know that "1 penny" should be listed in the ingredients list. This mixture also helps to keep cut flowers fresh.
- 1 gallon water
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 cups light corn syrup or 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons bleach (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- DISCLAIMER: This should go without saying, but - DO NOT DRINK THIS. THIS MIXTURE IS NOT MEANT TO BE CONSUMED BY HUMANS OR ANIMALS. IT SHOULD ONLY BE USED TO WATER YOUR CHRISTMAS TREE.
- IMPORTANT: DO NOT MIX VINEGAR AND BLEACH TOGETHER DIRECTLY - IF YOU MIX THEM DIRECTLY THE MIXTURE WILL PRODUCE TOXIC VAPORS. MIX THE VINEGAR WITH THE WATER FIRST, THEN PROCEED WITH THE REST OF THE RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS.
- In a large bowl, mix together the water and the vinegar.
- Add the corn syrup or the sugar, and stir well until all is combined or the sugar is dissolved. If you are using sugar, it may help to use half hot water first to dissolve the sugar, then add the second half, using cold water.
- Add the bleach, if using, and mix well to combine.
- Place your Christmas tree securely in the Christmas tree stand.
- Place a penny in the reservoir of the Christmas tree stand, then fill it with the water mixture.
- Store the remainder of the mixture in a gallon jug, and check the tree every day to see if it needs more of the mixture. Christmas trees which are not watered and which dry out become fire hazards, so make sure your tree is kept watered. If you have used bleach in the mixture label the container appropriately so that no one will drink from it.