Recipe by Rita~
I used a mix of cauliflower from the gardenia mix, broccoli and boccoflower for a contrast of color. I quickly blanched the broccoli and broccoflower heads very quickly (just seconds) in salted boiling water and the chilled to brighten the color!You'll need Styrofoam cone and toothpicks. I also used a platter that has a center with with a dip basin which is not really needed.
Top Review by cookin_nurse
This was a great hit at my christmas party, I got so many compliments on it! Thanks for the excellent idea! One suggestions is to for sure use the lettuce leaves , I was trying to save time and didn't use them but ended up regretting it because the foam could show through even in small cracks and it could take hours filling in all the little holes.
- 4 lettuce leaves (optional)
- 8 cups broccoli, & broccoflower heads blanched
- 1 cup petite carrot
- 4 -8 cups mixed vegetables, grape tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, mixed olives, Giardiniera (mixed pickled vegetables)
- 1 slice carrot (cut in a star with a cookie cutter)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place foam on platter.
- Using toothpicks secure lettuce on foam just to cover.
- Starting with the largest broccoli and broccoflower heads place on foam starting at the base and work your way up securing with toothpicks.
- Push 1/2 the carrots randomly into the foam.
- Take the rest of the veggies cut into small pieces and fill in the empty spots and brighten up the tree. Using toothpicks only IF needed.
- Mix the remaining carrots with the juice from the carrots, remaining vegetables with the juice from the gardenia mix and place around the base of the tree.
- Top with the star.
- Serve with a dip of choice.