Recipe by Chef Florida Janie
I couldn't wait to break the toffee up in pieces and then take the first spider. It melted in your mouth. First the chocolate, then the toffee.I would see how long I could make it last without biting into it. I must have asked my mother 100 times if it was ready yet. How much patience she had when making toffee with me. Enjoy!
- 1 lb butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons white Karo
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- 10 ounces Hershey Bars
Directions See How It's Made
- To make this recipe you must use two things, a wooden spoon, and a candy thermometer. Do not stir with anything else.
- Grease a jelly roll pan( cookie sheet with sides).
- Put butter in 4 quart saucepan. Melt over low heat. set off fire.
- Stir in sugar. Place back on fire. Low heat. bring to a bubbly boil.
- Add water and Karo syrup. Insert candy thermometer. Cook until temperature reads 290 degrees.
- Set off the fire, remove thermometer and add nuts.
- Pour into greased pan. Let cool completely, so that toffee is cold to the touch.
- Melt one chocolate bar in microwave. Pour the chocolate over the toffee spreading to cover the entire top of it. Let cool completely. If need be, refrigerate if in warm or humid climate.
- When completely cold, remove toffee from pan and coat the other side with the other melted chocolate bar.
- Let cool completely again.
- Break cooled toffee into pieces.
- Store in parchment paper layers in plastic container with tight fitting lid.