Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 min
I had made sugar cookies for more years than I want to count and never changed the recipe. But then one day, a lady at our church made this recipe for the kids at the Christmas program. My husband tasted them and told me to get the recipe. I rebelled at changing, but to please him, I tried them. Now, these are all I ever make. They are wonderful. I do use Crisco (shame on me because of the type of fat.) The lady said she had tried, and I did too, butter, and also half butter and half Crisco, but they didn't come out the same, but with the Crisco they are yummy.
- Mix the shortening, sugar, vanilla, and eggs till light and fluffy.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Chill 3-4 hours or overnight (I do mine overnight).
- On a well-floured surface, roll thin.
- Cut in shapes.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle sugar on top of them.
- Bake 350-375 degrees (depending on oven) for 6-8 minutes depending on your thickness.
- Cool on a rack.
- You may also decorate them with and icing; there are a couple of good ones on Zaar.
These cookies are absolutely amazing!!!!!
I made these for Christmas this year and they came out great. My 4 year old daughter helped me with the entire process and had a ball doing it!