1/3 Photos of Christmas Stollen
2 hrs 40 mins
Every Christmas my mom and I bake this special sweet bread. It is our family tradition. It is great for breakfast or as a gift. It is truly a master piece.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 ml milk
- 50 g fresh yeast
- 70 g sugar
- 500 g all-purpose flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 180 g butter, melted cooled
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 250 g mixed dried fruit, small pieces (apricots,raisins,cherry,cranberry...)
- 100 g candied fruit (orange,lemon,cherry...)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 100 g slivered almonds
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1In a small bowl dissolve the yeast in the warm milk.
- 2In a large bowl put sugar, flour, egg yolks, butter rum add yeast mixture and using a wooden spoon stir all ingredients together.
- 3Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hands until comes together than add dry fruit (chopped into small pieces), candied fruit, anise, nutmeg, almonds and zests.
- 4Knead until you have moderately stiff and smooth dough. About 8-10 minutes.
- 5Shape into a ball. Place into greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover with plastic wrap.
- 6Let it rise in a warm place until double in size about 1 1/2 hours.
- 7After that punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- 8Roll out into rectangle 4cm thick and then fold the long side over by half and other side over the first half (like business letter).
- 9Carefully transfer the dough to the baking sheet. Let it rest for 20 minutes covered with towel.
- 10Preheat oven to 180°C
- 11Bake until golden brown about 30-40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- 12While still hot brush with melted butter and sift a lot of icing sugar over the top.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Stollen
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.4
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 76.4 mg
- Sodium 133.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 13.0 g
- Protein 8.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of
lemons, zest of