Every Christmas my mom and I bake this special sweet bread. It is our family tradition. It is great for breakfast or as a gift. It is truly a master piece.
- 250 ml milk
- 50 g fresh yeast
- 70 g sugar
- 500 g all-purpose flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 180 g butter, melted cooled
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 250 g mixed dried fruit, small pieces (apricots,raisins,cherry,cranberry...)
- 100 g candied fruit (orange,lemon,cherry...)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 100 g slivered almonds
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1 lemon, zest of
- In a small bowl dissolve the yeast in the warm milk.
- In a large bowl put sugar, flour, egg yolks, butter rum add yeast mixture and using a wooden spoon stir all ingredients together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hands until comes together than add dry fruit (chopped into small pieces), candied fruit, anise, nutmeg, almonds and zests.
- Knead until you have moderately stiff and smooth dough. About 8-10 minutes.
- Shape into a ball. Place into greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Let it rise in a warm place until double in size about 1 1/2 hours.
- After that punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll out into rectangle 4cm thick and then fold the long side over by half and other side over the first half (like business letter).
- Carefully transfer the dough to the baking sheet. Let it rest for 20 minutes covered with towel.
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Bake until golden brown about 30-40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- While still hot brush with melted butter and sift a lot of icing sugar over the top.
This is a wonderful, wonderful recipe! Enjoyable to make, not really all that difficult and fantastic results. I only had active dry yeast and used 2 packets (.25 oz each) and this worked perfectly for me. The dough was so easy to work with, smelled heavenly while cooking, and produced a beautiful (and huge!) loaf of delicious bread. Thanks so much for sharing your family recipe!