Recipe by Dee514
A traditional fruited Christmas Bread. Posted by request. Prep time includes rising times.
Top Review by redneckgetaway51
I made the stollen this morning, and my husband waited anxiously for it to cool down toally. He told me he missed his mom's stollen bread, and really wanted me to find a recipe for it. I have never made it, but I guess this is it. He rated it 5 stars which he never does. All in all was a very easy recipe to do, maybe a bit time consuming. We still have plenty of candied fruit left, so I guess I will be making more, I think I will make some into mini loaves, and wrap them in pretty cellophane and give as presents. Thanks for posting
- 177.44 ml seedless raisin
- 118.29 ml chopped mixed candied fruits and peels (candied fruit cake mix)
- 59.14 ml orange juice
- 1182.95 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml slivered almonds, chopped
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml grated orange rind
- 14.79 ml grated lemon, rind of
- 4.92 ml salt
- 7.08 g envelope fast rising yeast
- 177.44 ml milk
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine
- 59.14 ml water
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- confectioners' sugar (for dusting loaves)
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl, soak raisins and candied fruits in orange juice.
- Set aside 1 cup flour.
- In large bowl, mix remaining flour, almonds, sugar, orange peel, lemon peel, salt and yeast.
- In small sauce pan, heat milk, butter and water till hot to the touch (about 125°-130°F).
- Stir hot liquids into dry mixture.
- Stir in fruit/orange juice mixture and eggs.
- Mix in only enough reserved flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic (about 8-10 minutes).
- Cover dough and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces, roll each piece into a 10 x 7 inch oval.
- Fold long side of oval over to within 1/2 inch of the opposite side, seal seam.
- Place loaves on a greased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rise in a warm draft free place until doubled in size (about 50-60 minutes).
- Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes or until done.
- Remove loaves from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.
- When cool, dust with confectioner's sugar.