Recipe by wizkid
This is a favourite German almondy christmas loaf. It takes a long time to make, but is very easy.
Top Review by apelsinjuice
This stollen turned out great. I added some cloves and used almond paste instead of marzipan, I couldn't seem to find it in the store. I also couldn't find currants, so I used cranberries in their place. The loaf turned out very tender and delicious. I was afraid the spices wouldn't distribute evenly by kneading, but they went in great. We'll be making this agian next Christmas.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2⁄3 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1⁄3 cup currants
- 1⁄3 cup sultana raisin
- 1⁄3 cup candied red cherries, quartered
- 2⁄3 cup diced candied peel
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 6 ounces marzipan
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk.
- Let stand until creamy (about 10 minutes).
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the egg, white sugar, salt, butter and 2 cups bread flour; beat well.
- Add the remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- When the dough has begun to pull together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead in the currants, raisins, dried cherries, mixed peel and the ginger and spices.
- Knead until smooth (about 8 minutes).
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled large bowl, and turn to coat with oil.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume (about 1 hour).
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the marzipan into a rope and place it in the centre of the dough.
- Fold the dough over to cover it.
- Pinch the seams together to seal.
- Place the loaf, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 Degrees C).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) and bake for a further 30- 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow loaf to cool on a wire rack.
- Dust the cooled loaf with the icing sugar and sprinkle with cinnamon.