1/4 Photos of Christmas Stollen
3 hrs 55 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
This is a favourite German almondy christmas loaf. It takes a long time to make, but is very easy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1/3 cup sultana raisin
- 1/3 cup candied red cherries, quartered
- 2/3 cup diced candied peel
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 6 ounces marzipan
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk.
- 2Let stand until creamy (about 10 minutes).
- 3In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the egg, white sugar, salt, butter and 2 cups bread flour; beat well.
- 4Add the remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- 5When the dough has begun to pull together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead in the currants, raisins, dried cherries, mixed peel and the ginger and spices.
- 6Knead until smooth (about 8 minutes).
- 7Place the dough in a lightly oiled large bowl, and turn to coat with oil.
- 8Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume (about 1 hour).
- 9Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- 10Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- 11Roll the marzipan into a rope and place it in the centre of the dough.
- 12Fold the dough over to cover it.
- 13Pinch the seams together to seal.
- 14Place the loaf, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet.
- 15Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 60 minutes.
- 16Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 Degrees C).
- 17Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- 18Reduce heat to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) and bake for a further 30- 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 19Allow loaf to cool on a wire rack.
- 20Dust the cooled loaf with the icing sugar and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Stollen
Serving Size: 1 (816 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2541.2
- Calories from Fat 689
- Total Fat 76.5 g
- Saturated Fat 44.7 g
- Cholesterol 396.8 mg
- Sodium 4097.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 419.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.9 g
- Sugars 152.2 g
- Protein 52.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied red cherries