Recipe by evelyn/athens
I make this delicious yeast pastry every Christmas for a 'tea' I hold for the moms at the nursery school the kids go to. They are always well-received, especially the walnut version which has a familiar baklava taste. As it is a yeast dough, it needs approx. 2 hrs rising.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm milk
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into bits
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, plus
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Poppy Seed Filling
- 2 cups poppy seeds
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg white
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 5 cups ground walnuts
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl proof yeast in 2 Tbsps warm milk with a pinch of sugar for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, pour scalded milk over butter, sugar and salt and stir mixture until butter is melted, and let it cool.
- Beat in whole eggs and yolks.
- Add the yeast mixture and the flour and beat until very smooth.
- Transfer to a buttered bowl and turn to coat.
- Let rise, covered, in a warm place for 2 hours, or until double in bulk.
- Punch dough down and halve.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll half of dough into a 12 x 9-inch rectangle on a floured surface and spread with ½ recipe of poppy seed or walnut filling.
- Starting with long side, roll dough tightly, jelly-roll fashion, and pinch edges and ends closed.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Transfer the rolls, seam side down, to a buttered baking sheet, leaving 4-inches between them.
- Brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until done.
- For Poppy Seed Filling (about 3 cups): Soak poppy seeds in boiling water to cover by 1-inch for 3 hours.
- Drain using a fine sieve.
- Spread on a doubled tea towel and let dry for 1 hour.
- In a food processor, pulverize poppy seeds with honey, sugar, raisins and butter.
- In another bowl, beat egg white with cream of tartar until stiff and fold into poppy seed mixture.
- For Walnut Filling (about 5 cups): In a saucepan, combine all ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.