Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This may become a Christmas tradition at our house. It was a hit this year, warm, hearty, and delicious!
- 1 lb kielbasa, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb red kidney beans, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed well
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 1 lb red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 ounces fresh kale, trimmed and torn into bitesize pieces (or spinach leaves)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon greshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat vegetable oil in large Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add kielbasa and brown well, about 15 minutes. Remove kielbasa from pot and set aside. Add garlic to reserved fat in pot and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent garlic from burning.
- Add beans and broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add kale or spinach to pot, cover and cook for additional 10-15 minutes. Add red wine vinegar and pepper and stir to combine. Ladle into soup bowls and top with grated Parmesan cheese.