Recipe by Breanna Baylor
This is my grandma Bowden's recipe. She made it every Christmas. sometimes there would be close to 50 people at her house at Christmas time.
- 24 ladyfingers
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup cold water
- 12 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream, whipped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- maraschino cherry
Directions See How It's Made
- Halve lady fingers lengthwise, dip in sherry and line botttom of 2 (9x13 inch) shallow pyrex casserolesSprinkle gelatin over cold water in small saucepan.
- Place over low heat about 5 minutes until dissolved.
- stirring constantly.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Gradually add sugar Continue to beat until very stiff.
- Fold in gelatin that has been cooled slightly.
- Spread the egg white mixture over the lady fingers.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until congealed.
- Cut snow pudding into desired size squares and place on plate.
- Sweeten whipped cream with sugar.
- Ice top and sides of each square with whipped cream.
- Pour CUSTARD SAUCE over each serving and garnish with a cherry on top.
- CUSTARD SAUCE: 6 egg yolks 1 cup sugar 3 cups milk, scalded 1 tsp vanilla 1 Tbsp.
- dry sherry wine Beat egg yolks and sugar together.
- Slowly pour in scalded milk.
- Place in double boiler and cook over simmering water until custard coats a spoon.
- Cool and add vanilla and sherry Refrigerate until serving time.
- makes about 3 1/2 cups sauce.