Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my grandma Bowden's recipe. She made it every Christmas. sometimes there would be close to 50 people at her house at Christmas time.
- 24 ladyfingers
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup cold water
- 12 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream, whipped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- maraschino cherry
- Halve lady fingers lengthwise, dip in sherry and line botttom of 2 (9x13 inch) shallow pyrex casserolesSprinkle gelatin over cold water in small saucepan.
- Place over low heat about 5 minutes until dissolved.
- stirring constantly.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Gradually add sugar Continue to beat until very stiff.
- Fold in gelatin that has been cooled slightly.
- Spread the egg white mixture over the lady fingers.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until congealed.
- Cut snow pudding into desired size squares and place on plate.
- Sweeten whipped cream with sugar.
- Ice top and sides of each square with whipped cream.
- Pour CUSTARD SAUCE over each serving and garnish with a cherry on top.
- CUSTARD SAUCE: 6 egg yolks 1 cup sugar 3 cups milk, scalded 1 tsp vanilla 1 Tbsp.
- dry sherry wine Beat egg yolks and sugar together.
- Slowly pour in scalded milk.
- Place in double boiler and cook over simmering water until custard coats a spoon.
- Cool and add vanilla and sherry Refrigerate until serving time.
- makes about 3 1/2 cups sauce.