Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
The colour from the green onion and tomatoes gives the dish a beautiful festive colour.
- 8 medium baking potatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can jalapenos
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped (to garnish)
- olive oil, as required
- butter, as required
- salt and pepper
- Potatoes are pre-cooked to save time and reduce oil and butter needed to cook potatoes from a raw state.
- Scrub the potatoes well and chop into chunky pieces(1-inch pieces). Boil potatoes for 5 minutes, until just tender and drain.
- Line cookie sheet with foil and layer potatoes.
- Dot with butter and cover with olive oil, cover with foil and bake for 45 mins at 425.
- Cool then store in fridge until use.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet.
- Add onions and cook for about 2 minutes, until they just start to turn brown. Add the garlic, mushrooms, jalapeno's and continue to cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from pan and store in bowl while continuing with next step (otherwise the garlic and onion will burn).
- Add potatoes and cook over medium heat until potatoes are crispy and brown. With pre-cooked potatoes, no more oil or butter will be required.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Add in pre-cooked garlic, onion mixture for the last few minutes to mix dish together.
- Add chopped baby tomato - in halves and finely chopped green onion just to heat through right at the end of cooking (one minute or the tomatoes will lose their colour and texture).
- *If you make these ahead and refrigerate add the tomatoes and chopped green onion when re-heating.