Sherri at the Beach's Note:
I've had this recipe for years and it comes from "The Caribbean Pantry Cookbook" by Steven Raichlen. It is best if made and stored a few weeks to a month, but can be drank right away. But be patient and let it age. My husband calls it 'nectar of the Gods'. It takes a little time to prep but worth it I assure you. Do not substitute ground spices, it will not turn out the same at all.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash the fruits and remove the zest in strips, avoiding the white pith.
- 2Combine the zests, cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice, vanilla beans, 2 cups of sugar, and 2 cups of water in a large heavy saucepan.
- 3Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to lowest possible setting. Let the ingredients infuse for 30 minutes.
- 4Strain the syrup into a large mixing bowl.
- 5Combine the remaining 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in the same large saucepan.
- 6Cover the pan and bring mixture to a boil. Uncover the pan and cook the mixture over high heat until it turns golden brown or caramelizes -about 5 minutes.
- 7Remove the pan from the heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- 8Add 1 cup of rum to the caramel. BE CAREFUL -the mixture may splatter. When the splatter has subsided, return the pan to low heat stirring with a wooden spoon until the caramel has dissolved into the rum.
- 9Add the caramel mixture and remaining rum to the syrup. (I found a large jar like you see in deli's for pickles I use for this). Whisk or in my case, shake the mixture. Pour into clean bottles or containers. Place in a cool dark place and allow to age. It will keep indefinitely.
- 10I put this is pretty decorative bottles like you see for salad dressing and give as Christmas gifts. I had an uproar the one year I didn't make it.
- 11Servings and yield are approximate, but about 2 gallons I'd guess. This is something you drink like a cordial or as a sipper. It is very strong!
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Shrub -A Rum Spice Liqueur
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.9
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 21.3 g
- Protein 0.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: