Recipe by Sackville
This is called Christmas Relish because it goes so well with roasted meat, especially if you are serving it cold the next day, perhaps as part of a lunch platter.
- 4 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons tamarind pulp
- 250 g carrots, finely shredded
- 250 g red cabbage, finely shredded
- 150 g ginger, chopped into matchsticks
- 4 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 hot chili peppers, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 150 ml rice vinegar
- 150 ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the boiling water over the tamarind pulp.
- Leave for a few minutes and then strain it through a fine sieve.
- Discard the pulp and keep the tamarind water.
- Put the carrots, cabbage and ginger in a bowl with half the salt and the tamarind water and leave overnight.
- Drain off the liquid and add the sugar, chillies, rest of the salt, fish sauce, vinegar and the fresh water.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Store in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to a week, turning the jar over once a day.