Prep 20 mins
Cook 168 hrs
This is called Christmas Relish because it goes so well with roasted meat, especially if you are serving it cold the next day, perhaps as part of a lunch platter.
- 4 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons tamarind pulp
- 250 g carrots, finely shredded
- 250 g red cabbage, finely shredded
- 150 g ginger, chopped into matchsticks
- 4 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 hot chili peppers, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 150 ml rice vinegar
- 150 ml water
- Pour the boiling water over the tamarind pulp.
- Leave for a few minutes and then strain it through a fine sieve.
- Discard the pulp and keep the tamarind water.
- Put the carrots, cabbage and ginger in a bowl with half the salt and the tamarind water and leave overnight.
- Drain off the liquid and add the sugar, chillies, rest of the salt, fish sauce, vinegar and the fresh water.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Store in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to a week, turning the jar over once a day.