Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 8 medium white onions, chopped
- 6 large green bell peppers, seeded,chopped
- 6 large red bell peppers, seeded,chopped
- 5 cups cider vinegar, divided
- 4 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- In a large kettle, combine chopped onions and peppers, add 4 cups boiling water and let stand for 5 minutes, stirring once.
- Drain the vegetables and return to the kettle with 2 cups vinegar and 2 cups water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Drain again and return vegetables to the kettle.
- In a saucepan, combine 3 cups vinegar with 4 1/2 cups sugar and the salt.
- Heat gently, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour this over the vegetables.
- Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes until the syrup is slightly thickened and the vegetables are tender but have not lost their crispness.
- Pour into sterilized canning jars, filling to within 1/4-inch of the tops.
- Wipe rims with a dampened towel and seal the jars.
- Process in a boiling-water bath (water 2 inches above the jar tops) for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars to cool and store in a cool dry place.