12 hrs 30 mins
I got this recipe from a dear friend when I was newly married and trying to figure out our own Christmas traditions. I like these because I can make up the dough in November and freeze. This helps make holiday baking much less STRESSFUL!!! Cooking time includes chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, at room temp.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 drops red food coloring
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied red cherries
- 4 drops green food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pistachio nut
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut or 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1Line bottoma dn sides of an 8x4-inch loaf pan with waxed paper.
- 2Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- 3In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until fluffy.
- 4Beat in egg and vanilla.
- 5Stir in flour mixture until well blended.
- 6Divide dough in thirds.
- 7Refrigerate about 15 minutes.
- 8FOR PINK DOUGH:.
- 9Remove 1 portion from refrigerator.
- 10Add 1 drop red food color at a time, mixing well after each addition until dough is deep pink.
- 11Stir in cherries.
- 12Press dough firmly and evenly in bottom of prepared pan.
- 13Return to refrigerator.
- 14FOR GREEN DOUGH:.
- 15Add 1 drop green food color at a time as directed above.
- 16Add almond extract and pistachio nuts.
- 17Mix well.
- 18Press evenly on top of pink dough in pan; refrigerate.
- 19FOR WHITE DOUGH:.
- 20Stir coconut into last batch of dough until well blended.
- 21Press firmly and evely over green dough.
- 22Cover with plastic wrap.
- 23Chill (in freezer) several hours or overnight.
- 24Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 25Have a cookie sheet ready.
- 26Run a metal spatula between waxed paper and pan sids to loosen.
- 27Invert onto cutting board and remove waxed paper.
- 28Cut into 1/4-inch slices, then cut each slice vertically into 3 equal pieces.
- 29Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheets.
- 30Bake 10-12 minutes until edges are golden brown.
- 31Remove to rack to cool.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Rainbow Slices
Serving Size: 1 (811 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 51.3
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 9.7 mg
- Sodium 28.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied red cherries