Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
These are my nanna's recipes. As English, well, as English as my nan herself.
- 3 ounces flour
- 5 ounces breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 3 ounces suet, shredded
- 1⁄4 lb brown sugar
- 1⁄4 lb currants, sultanas
- 3 ounces raisins or 3 ounces dates
- 1 ounce almonds, chopped
- 1⁄2 oranges, juice of or 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 3 drops almond essence
- 2 eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle Guinness stout (to moisten)
- Sift flour, salt and spices together.
- Put suet, breadcrumbs, sugar, eggs, stout and golden syrup, almond essence and juice into bowl.
- Mix well.
- Stir in nuts and fruit.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Turn batter into thoroughly greased 2-quart mold.
- Cover tightly with greased cover or aluminum foil, waxed paper or parchment.
- Place mold on trivet or rack in steamer or deep kettle.
- Pour boiling water into steamer about half the height of mold.
- Cover and steam pudding for six hours.
- Add more boiling water if necessary during steaming.
My mom has passed away, I've been looking for this recipe for 11 years! I can't wait to make it! Thank you! It's been a family tradition forever! I can't wait till I give it to my sisters for christmas dinner Thankyou