Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A recipe from Dr Sue Shepherd's cookbook "The Gluten-free Kitchen". Just lover her recipes. SUe Shepherd is an Advanced Accredited Practicing Dietician who herslef has Coeliac/Celiac Disease. She is recognised and works with the Australian Coeliac Society. I think you could swap a bean flour with the soy flour if you need to Preparation time does not include overnight maceration of the dried fruits
- 1 cup sultana
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup craisins
- 1 cup glace cherries, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 65 g fine rice flour
- 35 g cornstarch
- 20 g debittered soy flour or 20 g bean flour
- 60 g butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups fresh gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice or 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- Grease and line a 1 litre pudding basin with baking paper.
- Add the dried fruits and brandy to a large mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Add the three flours to a mixing bowl and mix with a whisk to ensure they are well combined. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the soaked fruits, sugar, breadcrumbs and spice. Mix well to combine.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs and milk. Add to the fruit mixture and mix to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the pudding basin. Place the pudding basin in a large stockpot. Pour in enough water to the pot to come 3/4 of the way up the side of the pudding basin.
- Bring the water to the boil, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook the pudding for 2 to 3 hours. Check the water regularly to ensure it does not run dry.
- If making ahead, the pudding may be resteamed for 1 hour on the day of serving. I've generally found also that a cook ahead pudding can be sliced and individual serves warmed in the microwave.
Love Love Love!! I hadn't had a Christmas pudding since being diagnosed and I had to use all my self resrained not to eat the whole pud! Even my non GF friends I ate it with said it was better than the 'real' stuff as lighter. I didn't have brandy so made a cocktail of bourbon and cointreau and I could swear I put more than 1/2 cup of it in the fruits ;-) Turned out yummy! Thank you for posting!