Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Family recipe that has been used for generations. Originated in Ireland, came to Canada with my Grandma's grandparents.
- 2 lbs soft breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground kidney suet
- 1⁄2 lb flour
- 8 eggs
- 2 lbs raisins
- 2 lbs currants
- 1⁄2 lb mixed candied peel
- 1 quart milk
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 ounce ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 lb grated apple
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup golden brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 dash cinnamon
- Combine dry ingedients and mix well.
- Add all other ingredients, mix together very well.
- Wrap pudding in double layers of cheesecloth, tie and boil 6 hours.
- Alternate method: Pack pudding firmly into quart canning jars, process in boiling water approximately 6 hours.
- To re-heat place in double boiler for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or microwave at 50% for 5 - 8 minutes.
- Combine dry ingredients, mix till lump-free.
- Add rest of ingredients.
- Cook over medium/low heat, stirring constantly till thick.
- Serve pudding in small dessert dishes. drizzle sauce over top.