Recipe by gailanng
Pfeffernusse improve with age, so make plenty at the start of the season. After they cool, these cookies are rolled in powdered sugar, giving them a snowball appearance.
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 1 large egg
- powdered sugar, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease cookie sheets; set aside.
- Place flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, salt, cloves, cardamom and pepper in large bowl; stir to combine.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy scraping down side of bowl once.
- Beat in molasses and egg. Gradually add flour mixture. Beat at low speed until dough forms, scraping down side of bowl once. Form dough into a disc; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, 30 minutes or up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove cookies with spatula to wire racks. While warm, dust or roll with sifted powdered sugar. Cool completely.
- Store tightly covered at room temperature or freeze up to 3 months.