1/3 Photos of Christmas Pecan Logs
This is such a nice "old fashioned" candy to make for the holidays. You need to make this in advance as the candy needs to sit for a couple of days for the flavors to come together. Make sure you read the recipe twice before starting. Takes some effort, but this is so delicious and a very special addition to any Christmas cookie tray - Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup maraschino cherry, drained & finely chopped
Caramel Pecan Coating
- 1In pan combine sugar, water, and corn syrup. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar (6 to 8 minutes).
- 2Then reduce to medium-low heat, without stirring, till thermometer registers 240 degrees, soft-ball stage (about 30 more minutes).
- 3Remove pan from heat; remove thermometer. Pour mixture onto a large platter. Do not scrape the cooked candy from the sides of the pan (this part tends to over-cook and gives a hard texture to the candy -- it's not worth wrecking the soft creamy center by adding this).
- 4Cool, without stirring, until slightly warm to the touch. About an hour.
- 5Add cherries to the mixture and beat with a wooden spoon for 10 minutes utill candy is white, creamy and has lots of air incorporated into it. (This step can also be accomplished using a paddle attachment on a food processor).
- 6Form into logs (individual size or 2 large) and wrap in clear plastic wrap.
- 7Place wrapped logs in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- 8For the coating:.
- 9In a heavy saucepan combine caramels, butter and water. Cook over low heat until caramels are melted.
- 10Spread chopped pecans on a piece of waxed paper.
- 11Remove the saucepan from heat. Dip the unwrapped fondant logs into the melted caramel mixture. Let excess caramel drip off the log.
- 12Place the dipped log on the chopped pecans and roll until it is covered.
- 13Chill 1 hour or until ready to serve. To serve, let logs stand at room temperature about 30 minutes.
- 14Cut into 1/4 inch slices.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Christmas Pecan Logs
Serving Size: 1 (1490 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 100.2
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 2.3 mg
- Sodium 25.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: