Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is such a nice "old fashioned" candy to make for the holidays. You need to make this in advance as the candy needs to sit for a couple of days for the flavors to come together. Make sure you read the recipe twice before starting. Takes some effort, but this is so delicious and a very special addition to any Christmas cookie tray - Enjoy!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄3 cup maraschino cherry, drained & finely chopped
Caramel Pecan Coating
- 14 ounces vanilla caramels
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups chopped pecans, lightly toasted
- In pan combine sugar, water, and corn syrup. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar (6 to 8 minutes).
- Then reduce to medium-low heat, without stirring, till thermometer registers 240 degrees, soft-ball stage (about 30 more minutes).
- Remove pan from heat; remove thermometer. Pour mixture onto a large platter. Do not scrape the cooked candy from the sides of the pan (this part tends to over-cook and gives a hard texture to the candy -- it's not worth wrecking the soft creamy center by adding this).
- Cool, without stirring, until slightly warm to the touch. About an hour.
- Add cherries to the mixture and beat with a wooden spoon for 10 minutes utill candy is white, creamy and has lots of air incorporated into it. (This step can also be accomplished using a paddle attachment on a food processor).
- Form into logs (individual size or 2 large) and wrap in clear plastic wrap.
- Place wrapped logs in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- For the coating:.
- In a heavy saucepan combine caramels, butter and water. Cook over low heat until caramels are melted.
- Spread chopped pecans on a piece of waxed paper.
- Remove the saucepan from heat. Dip the unwrapped fondant logs into the melted caramel mixture. Let excess caramel drip off the log.
- Place the dipped log on the chopped pecans and roll until it is covered.
- Chill 1 hour or until ready to serve. To serve, let logs stand at room temperature about 30 minutes.
- Cut into 1/4 inch slices.
wow these take some time to make but worth the extra effort, next time I will triple recipe, and also add in some dried chopped fruit along with the cherries, these are so good, thanks for sharing Canadian Cookie!...Kitten