Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from Food TV.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta, chopped into small bits (Italian cured pork)
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1⁄3 lb ground beef
- 1⁄3 lb ground pork
- 1⁄3 lb ground veal
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 (32 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice or 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- chopped fresh parsley leaves
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs penne rigate, cooked al dente
- Heat a deep pot over medium high heat.
- Add oil, garlic, bay leaf, and pancetta bits and brown for 1 minute.
- Add meats and brown.
- Chop carrot, celery, and onions near stove and add to the pot as you work.
- Cook veggies with meat for 5 minutes and add wine.
- Cook for 1 minute; add stock and tomatoes to the pot.
- Stir in parsley, allspice (or cinnamon), and season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Bring sauce to boil, reduce heat to medium low and cook 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Toss pasta with a couple of ladles of sauce to coat, then top with extra.
- Top pasta with lots of grated romano cheese.
Best pasta dish I've had in a while. The ingredient list is indeed long, but the effort is very worthwhile. Thanks for sharing! I got this orinally from Rachael Ray.
This is wondeful recipe. We saw RR make it on TV and tried it that weekend. It's a lot of ingredients, but sooo worth it.