Recipe by Irmgard
This recipe from the Chatelaine website really is nice for Christmas because of the specks of red and green peppers that dot the surface after baking. I made it with Kraft Tex-Mex Blend cheese but you may substitute whatever cheese you like and happen to have on hand.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (Whether you remove the seeds and membranes is personal choice!)
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan set over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Add the red pepper and jalapeno and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Stir in the cheese, tabasco, seasonings, then the onion mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously oil a 9" pie plate.
- Whisk the egg mixture again, pour into the pie plate and bake in the centre of the oven until the top is golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.