Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe from the Chatelaine website really is nice for Christmas because of the specks of red and green peppers that dot the surface after baking. I made it with Kraft Tex-Mex Blend cheese but you may substitute whatever cheese you like and happen to have on hand.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (Whether you remove the seeds and membranes is personal choice!)
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan set over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Add the red pepper and jalapeno and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Stir in the cheese, tabasco, seasonings, then the onion mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously oil a 9" pie plate.
- Whisk the egg mixture again, pour into the pie plate and bake in the centre of the oven until the top is golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.