Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From The Wickwood Inn in Saugatuk, MI, owned & operated by Julee Rosso (of The Silver Palate fame)...this contains buttery croissants, toasted almonds and Grand Marnier. This is prepared the day before and it's such a wonderful way to greet Christmas morning!
- 6 croissants
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 6 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup Grand Marnier
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, minced
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup dried tart cherry (optional)
- Spray butter (or Pam) in 9 x 12 rectangular baking dish. Place croissants in pan, two per row, side by side lengthwise.
- Place cream, milk, eggs, Grand Marnier, cried cherries and orange zest in a bowl. Combine thoroughly. Poure egg mixture over croissants. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Before baking, sprinkle top of croissants lightly with 1 teaspoon sugar, cinnamon, toasted almonds and then very lightly with 1 teaspoon sugar again.
- Bake at 350 (preheated oven) for 30 to 35 minutes on middle shelf of oven. Serve with the best warmed pure maple syrup you can find.
Someone gave me this recipe ages ago, and I didn't realize it was on here. I have no contact with this person, and really wanted to find my copy of this recipe, and decided to check here, and I'm thrilled. This is excellent. The cherries are a "must", but I did omit the almonds and it was just as good. So so glad I found this again.